Thanksgiving is a holiday all about opening up your home to family and guests, and celebrating time together. During these special moments, the last thing you want interrupting your turkey dinner prep or precious family time is a pest infestation. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving festivities–especially all of that delicious food being prepared– can attract pests and put a damper on your holiday party. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it’s best to be prepared and know what might attract pests to your party, which type to expect, and the best forms of preventive pest control helps keep them from making an unwanted appearance!
What attracts fall pests to your Thanksgiving dinner table?
Any type of pest can be attracted by all of the crumbs and activity going on during a Thanksgiving party, but there are some species that are more likely to be party-crashers than others. These pests include:
- Rodents: Mice and rats love to nest indoors during the fall and can be especially interested in increased food in the house.
- Ants: Any crumbs or spills can attract ants to your home in search of a food source.
- Seed Bugs: Highly active in fall, these pests are commonly drawn to food and garbage left lying out.
Be sure to keep an extra careful look out for increased pest activity from these pervasive species!
What can a homeowner do to prevent pests while they're away for Thanksgiving?If you’re planning on spending Thanksgiving at someone else’s home, your property is still susceptible to pests. That’s why it’s highly crucial for all homeowners to do preventive pest control before heading out on the holidays. Preventive techniques, such as throwing away all garbage, cleaning up crumbs, closing the sink and drains, and carefully storing any food items can go a long way in ensuring that your property remains pest-free during any Thanksgiving traveling.
5 ways to keep pests away if you're hosting a Thanksgiving celebration:
As a Thanksgiving host, there’s countless other tasks to focus on in order to ensure that your home is well prepared to host your family and loved ones–buying ingredients, making food, cleaning up clutter. In the midst of all of this, you shouldn’t have to be terrified of a pest problem causing issues at your party. Using preventive pest control techniques can help ensure that your Thanksgiving day party proceeds smoothly, without any unwanted guests. These 5 effective methods include preventive techniques such as:
- Covering your Thanksgiving food: Keeping food out uncovered on the counter before guests arrive can tempt unwanted pests into visiting your home. Cover food or leave it in the refrigerator until it’s ready to be served.
- Dealing with trash immediately: Don’t let heaps of garbage pile up while you’re preparing for the Thanksgiving party. Wrap it up before flies and insects are attracted, and dispose of it in secure containers.
- Paying attention to your lawn: Even if your party will be a purely indoor affair, many pest infestations start outdoors before continuing inwards to your home. By keeping your lawn well-maintained, you can cut down on the risk of pests making an appearance at your party.
- Cleaning your home: Chances are, you’re already planning to do some cleaning before guests arrive. And that’s great, since cleaning your home is an effective form of preventive pest control, especially sweeping and vacuuming up small crumbs that might attract pests.
- Investing in Tupperware: A tight seal surrounding any food items can go a long way in preventing pests. Make sure that all food is carefully sealed in air-tight containers to keep pests from invading your kitchen or storage areas.
These five preventive pest control methods can significantly reduce the chances that pests will invite themselves to your Thanksgiving party. But sometimes, preventive pest control measures alone simply aren’t enough. In situations where pest infestations occur despite your best effort, it’s crucial to contact a residential pest control company ASAP.
A professional pest control company, like AIPM, can take effective and immediate action against pests, helping to salvage your Thanksgiving celebrations and keep the whole family happy during the holidays. Don’t wait until your party is ruined to call for expert assistance!
By actively completing preventive pest control techniques, you can increase the chances of your Thanksgiving celebrations remaining pest free–all it takes is a little bit of effort to help ensure that fall pests stay out of your home and away from your party. And for any unexpected pest infestations that aren’t stopped by preventive care, AIPM is here to help manage the issue and keep the Thanksgiving festivities going!